Triple-layer Fudgy Caramel Pecan Turtle Brownies – a dense, fudgy brownie on top of an Oreo cookie crust topped with a chewy caramel and pecan topping.
The caramel topping on these Fudgy Caramel Pecan Turtle Brownies is packed with crunchy pecans and has the perfect texture. It firms up enough when chilled for neat slices, and it’s perfectly chewy if you eat the brownies right out of the refrigerator – my favorite way to eat brownies! If you eat the brownies at room temperature, it softens up while still keeping its shape.
The decadent and irresistible brownie layer is rich, dense, chewy and packed with chocolate: melted unsweetened chocolate, cocoa, and semi-sweet chunks. You have to try eating them cold, straight from the fridge – they’re so dense and fudgy and the flavor is incredible!
The crunchy Oreo cookie crumb crust in these Fudgy Caramel Pecan Turtle Brownies adds another dimension of flavor and texture, and it supports the brownie and gives it a solid base – a plus if you like your brownies moist and gooey.
|Fudgy Caramel Pecan Turtle Brownies|| |
- 1½ cups finely ground Oreo cookie crumbs, 17 cookies (6.75oz, 191g)
- 4 tablespoons melted butter (2oz, 57g)
- 1 cup butter, melted and cooled (8oz, 227g)
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled (113g)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar (14oz, 397g)
- 1¼ cups all purpose flour (6.25oz, 177g)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened alkalized cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate chunks (227g)
- 4 tablespoons butter (2oz, 57g)
- ¼ cup light corn syrup (2.75oz, 78g)
- ¾ cup brown sugar (5.6oz, 160g)
- 1 cup heavy cream (8oz, 227g)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- few pinches of salt
- ¾ cup pecans, chopped (3oz, 85g)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare an 8 inch by 8 inch baking pan, see note, and spray the inside with cooking spray.
- Combine the Oreo cookie crumbs and the melted butter. Press into the bottom of baking pan.
- Bake in 350 degree F oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly while preparing brownie batter.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk eggs and sugar until blended.
- Add cooled melted butter and melted chocolate and whisk to combine.
- Combine dry ingredients in bowl and sift over chocolate mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula just until combined. Do not over mix.
- Add semisweet chocolate chunks and stir gently to combine.
- Pour into baking pan and smooth the top.
- Bake in 350 degree F oven until set, about 40 minutes. Be careful not to overbake or the brownies will not be fudgy. They should be slightly underdone.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Combine the butter, corn syrup, and brown sugar in a medium saucepan and heat over medium heat, stirring until melted and combined. Bring to a boil and cook until temperature reaches 240 degrees F.
- Turn off heat and slowly pour in cream, being careful that it doesn't bubble over.
- Return to heat and boil until it reaches 248 degrees F. Turn off heat and stir in vanilla, pinches of salt, and pecans.
- Let caramel cool slightly (it should still be pourable and spreadable). Spread on top of brownies.
- Let cool to room temperature. Chill in the refrigerator for several hours to firm up.
- When chilled and firm, slice into squares.
- Store in the refrigerator.