This Sweet Potato Souffle with Brown Sugared Pecans will be the shining star on your Thanksgiving table. Exquisitely smooth and creamy, yet ethereally light, the sweet potatoes are flavored with just a hint of orange to accentuate their natural sweetness and give a mild, bright flavor. Brown Sugared Pecans make a delicious, crunchy topping as the nuts become caramelized while they bake. Sometimes called a Sweet Potato Souffle and sometimes called a Sweet Potato Casserole, either way, it’s always delicious!
Incredibly easy and fast to make, just put all the filling ingredients in the food processor and give it whirl until it becomes creamy and smooth.
Spread the filling into a 2 quart baking dish.
Pecans are oven roasted and tossed with butter before they arranged on top of the sweet potato puree. Whole or chopped pecans can be used. A pattern of whole pecans give an elegant look, while chopped pecans are easier to just sprinkle on top.
|Sweet Potato Souffle with Brown Sugared Pecans|| |
- 3 cups cooked sweet potatoes (see note) (29.5 oz, 836g)
- 2 eggs
- 2 teasponns finely grated orange rind
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice (2.2oz, 62g)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar (5.25 oz, 149g)
- ¼ cup butter, melted (2oz, 57g)
- ¼ cup heavy cream (2oz, 57g)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- few gratings of fresh nutmeg
- 2 cups pecan halves or pieces (8oz, 226g)
- 1 tablespoon butter (1/2 oz, 14g)
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar (1.9oz, 53g)
- pinch salt
- Put all sweet potato puree ingredients into the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth and creamy.
- Spread into a 2 quart baking dish
- Put pecan pieces on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and mix in 1 tablespoon butter.
- Spread nuts on top of sweet potato puree.
- Sprinkle brown sugar on top of pecans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes.
- The brown sugar should be melted . If there are any spots of sugar that are not melted, brush with a little more melted butter and return to the oven for a few more minutes.
Wash sweet potatoes and prick with a fork. Place on a dish and microwave until soft. When the middle is squeezed, it should be very soft. Smaller sweet potatoes take about 8 minutes, large sweet potatoes will take a little longer.