This is my favorite Carrot Cake recipe – a super moist and tender Carrot Cake bursting with flavor from pineapple and coconut, topped with the most heavenly cream cheese frosting.
For the Carrot Cake:
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup (150g) vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup (255g) applesauce
- 2 cups (397g) granulated sugar
- 2 cups (283g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cups (227g) lightly packed finely, freshly grated carrots
- 1 cup (227g) Dole crushed pineapple (lightly drained)
- 1 cup (75g) shredded sweetened coconut
- Optional: 1 cup pecans and/or 1/2 cup raisins
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1- 8 oz package cream cheese ((227g) softened)
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter ( softened)
- Optional: 1 tablespoon sour cream *
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups (360g) powdered sugar (or more if needed to thicken)
- Pinch of salt
- fondant carrots
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
Make the batter:
- Whisk together the eggs, oil, applesauce, and sugar.
- Gently stir in the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon).
- Gently fold in the carrots, coconut, and pineapple (and nuts and raisins if using)
Bake the cake:
- Pour the batter into a 9 by 13 inch baking dish that has been sprayed with nonstick baking spray.
- Bake in a preheated 350° F oven until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean, about 35-40 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before frosting.
- Make the cream cheese frosting:
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat the softened cream cheese together with the softened butter on medium-high speed until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Add the confectioner’s sugar, vanilla, and pinch of salt. Mix on low for 30 seconds, then turn to medium- high and beat for 3 minutes until super smooth and creamy. Add a little more sugar if it’s too loose or a little milk if it’s too thick.
- Be sure the cream cheese and butter are at room temperature before mixing so the frosting doesn’t have any lumps. I also like to sift the powdered sugar to remove any lumps.
Frost the cake:
- When the cake is completely cooled, frost the cake using a spoon or a spatula.
- Store the cake, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
If you have sour cream on hand, add in a tablespoon. It adds sheen and flavor to the frosting.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 522
Keywords: carrot cake, coconut, cream cheese frosting, dessert, easy, pineapple, spring