This quick and easy, fresh Cherry Sauce recipe makes a wonderful topping for a simple, delicious ice cream dessert! Perfect for summer entertaining!
- Tillamook Old-Fashioned Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1 lb cherries, pitted (from about 1 1/3 pounds fresh cherries)
- 1–4 tablespoons sugar (or to taste)
- pinch of salt
- Put cherries in a baking dish and sprinkle with sugar and a pinch of salt.
- Bake in a 400 degree F preheated oven for about 20 minutes until juices have released and start to become syrupy. Watch carefully that the juices don’t burn.
- Serve warm or at room temperature on top of scoops of ice cream.
If you would like a tarter flavor, depending on your cherries, add a little lemon juice.
Sweet or sour cherries can be used, just adjust the flavoring with more or less sugar and/or lemon juice.
Keep an eye on the cherries while roasting so that the sauce doesn’t brown. It can go from syrupy to burnt pretty quickly.
Use a baking dish that fits the cherries in a single layer without being too big. Too much open space in the pan will cause the juices to evaporate and burn faster. I use a 7 by 11-inch baking dish or a pie dish.
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: ice cream, cherry sauce