- 1 pound pumpkin cut in 1/2 inch squares (454g)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder, or to taste
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 1 large leek (about 14oz, 400g)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen (7.4oz, 210g)
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves, finely chopped
- 42 oz vegetable or chicken broth (1190g)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toss pumpkin cubes with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Roast in a 400 degree oven until beginning to soften and edges are beginning to brown, about 20-30 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle with chipotle chili powder and toss to combine.
- Char the bell peppers and jalapenos until the skin is completely blackened on all sides on top of a gas flame or under the broiler. Place peppers in a plastic bag and let rest for 10-15 minutes. Remove from bag and peel the peppers. Seed peppers and cut into 1/4 inch pieces.
- Wash leeks thoroughly. Slice the white and light green parts only of the leek into thin slices.
- In a large pan, sauté leeks in 2 tablespoons olive oil until softened. Add the flour, cumin, paprika, and chili powder and cook, stirring to combine, for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the broth, and whisking to combine, bring to a boil. Turn heat to low and add the pumpkin, peppers, corn, and oregano. Let simmer on low for about 15 minutes until pumpkin is tender.
- Salt and pepper to taste.