This Creamy Italian Sausage Pasta is so creamy and so full of flavor! Hot buttered pasta is tossed with Italian sausage and spinach in the creamiest, garlicky parmesan sauce. Pure comfort food on the table in under 30 minutes!
For the Pasta
- 1 lb pasta – I used penne ((454g))
- 1 tablespoon butter ((.5oz, 14g))
For the Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil ((1.5oz, 42g))
- 1 small onion (chopped fine)
- 4 cloves garlic (chopped fine or put through the garlic press)
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage ((454g) **see note**)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning (or a mix of dried basil, thyme, marjoram, and oregano)
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 cup chicken broth ((6.2oz, 176g))
- 1½ cups heavy cream ((12.6oz, 357g))
- ¾ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese ((3oz, 85g))
- 8 ounces baby spinach ((227g))
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Pasta:
- Bring a large pan of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain and toss with butter.
For the Sauce:
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat and sauté the onion and garlic until it is soft and translucent.
- Remove the sausage from casings and add to the pan. Cook until browned.
- Deglaze pan with chicken broth.
- Add Italian seasoning, bay leaf, and heavy cream. Let simmer on low for 10 minutes.
- Off the heat, slowly stir in parmesan cheese and whisk or stir until melted.
- Stir in baby spinach. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss with hot buttered pasta and serve immediately.
Notes **If your sausage doesn't contain fennel seed, toast ½ teaspoon fennel seeds in a pan until they become aromatic, then pound in a mortar and pestle and add to sausage.