- 1 2-3 pound pumpkin or squash - sugar (pie) pumpkin, Cinderella pumpkin, kabocha squash, butternut squash, red kuri squash, or other pumpkin/squash ideal for baking
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut pumpkin in half.
- Using a spoon or a melon baller, scrape out the seeds and pulp from the inside of the pumpkin.
- Lightly salt the inside of the pumpkin.
- Place the pumpkin cut-side down on a parchment lined baking sheet, and bake in a 400 degree F oven for 35-50 minutes until the pumpkin is soft and nearly collapsing.
- Remove the pumpkin from the oven and let cool until it can be handled.
- The skin should easily peel away from the flesh, otherwise, scoop out the flesh with a spoon.
- Puree the pumpkin in a food processor until smooth.
- Homemade pumpkin puree can be refrigerated for several days or frozen.