- 2 quarts milk (8cups)
- 4-8 tablespoons yogurt or one packet yogurt starter culture
- Heat milk to 185°F in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat, stirring regularly to prevent scorching.
- Once milk has reached temperature, allow it to cool to 110°F.
- Whisk in yogurt or starter culture.
- Pour milk and starter into 2 quart sized jars or any other sized jars and tighten lids.
- Allow to rest in a warm place until desired thickness and tartness is reached. *see note
- Place in refrigerator for 6 hours to chill and stop culturing process.
- To make Greek Yogurt, strain the whey, instructions found here.
There are several ways to keep the yogurt warm:
*Simply set jars on the counter in a warm place for about 24 hours
*Set jars on the counter wrapped in a blanket or towel for about 24 hours
*Place jars in a cooler and fill with 120 degree F water, almost up to the lids, for about 6 hours. Keep cooler lid closed.
*Place jars in a slow cooker with water set to the lowest setting for about 6 hours
*Place on a heating pad set to low and cover with a blanket or large towel for about 6-8 hours