Your family will love this Nutella-Stuffed, Deep Dish, Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie! A crispy, chewy, buttery chocolate chip cookie on the outside and an irresistible, ooey-gooey Nutella-stuffed center, baked in a cast iron pan. Serve warm from the oven with vanilla ice cream for the ultimate dessert!
- 1 cup (2 sticks, 227g)unsalted butter ( softened)
- 3/4 cup (149g) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (149g) packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons (287g) unbleached all-purpose flour ( (dip and sweep method))
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6oz, 170g) semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate chips, chunks, or hand-chopped chocolate (*see note), divided
- ½ cup (156g) Nutella (*see note)
Make the chocolate chip cookie dough:
- Using a hand mixer, stand mixer, or by hand, combine the butter and sugars and mix until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs and mix until fully combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated.
- Stir in 2/3 of the chocolate chips, reserving 1/3 for sprinkling on top.
Assemble the cookie:
- Press half the dough into the skillet. I like to make a bit of a rim by pressing the dough about a quarter of an inch up the sides of the pan.
- Spread on the Nutella. The Nutella is easier to spread if you warm it up in the microwave. Leave about a half inch to an inch border around the edges free of the Nutella.
- Top with second half of cookie dough. I press small pieces of dough flat in between my hands, then fit them top of the Nutella and smooth them together. Spray your hands with baking spray so the dough doesn’t stick to them.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven until the top is set and the edges are golden brown, about 20-30 minutes, depending on the size of the pan. I like mine on the underdone side, so I bake it less.
- A 12 inch skillet will bake faster than a 10 inch skillet.
I used Ghiradelli 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate chips to cut down on the sweetness.
I use ½ cup (156g) Nutella for a 10 inch skillet and a few extra tablespoons – up to ¾ cup Nutella (233g) -for a 12 inch skillet
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 496
Keywords: cast iron, chocolate chip, cookie skillet, nutella, skillet cookie