- 2 cups tightly packed fresh basil leaves (110g, 3.9oz)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (60g, 2.1oz)
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese (12g, .4oz)
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated pecorino romano cheese
To make in the food processor:
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine basil, olive oil, pine nuts, minced garlic, and a pinch of salt and process until creamy.
- Transfer to a bowl and mix in the two cheeses.
To make with mortar and pestle:
- Combine basil, pine nuts, minced garlic, and a pinch of salt (coarse is better here) in the mortar. Using the pestle with a rotary, grinding motion, grind the ingredients into a paste against the sides of the mortar.
- Add both cheeses and using the pestle grind into the paste.
- Pour in olive oil in a thin stream and beat until incorporated with a wooden spoon.