- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups broth, chicken or vegetable
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Add flour and whisk. Let cook for a minute or two until it is bubbly but not brown.
- Add tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and oregano. Stir to combine and cook for a minute but don't let chili burn or it will turn bitter.
- Slowly whisk in broth and whisk until smooth.
- Increase heat to medium-high, whisking often. Let simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Add vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste.