This homemade Strawberry Syrup recipe is a clear, strawberry simple syrup that’s easy to make and perfect for mixing into drinks or pouring over pancakes.
- 1 lb strawberries (about 3 cups when sliced)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
Optional: pinch of salt and/or lemon juice to taste
- Clean, hull and slice the strawberries.
- Combine the strawberries, water, and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and simmer for 15 minutes. The berries will soften and lose their bright color and the liquid will be deep red.
- Strain the strawberries out of the simple syrup, being careful not to press down on the berries or the syrup will be cloudy.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
- A pinch of salt brings out the flavor of the strawberries.
- If your strawberries need a boost of flavor, a strip of lemon peel can be added when simmering the berries. Alternatively, you can add a bit of lemon juice to taste to the finished syrup.
- To chill the syrup quickly, put in an ice bath.
- If you prefer a thicker syrup for use on pancakes or waffles, you can simmer it for several minutes longer till the liquid reduces and thickens more.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 15
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: strawberry, syrup, drinks, pancakes, fresh,