Dense, fudgy coconut brownies packed with chunks of chocolate covered coconut candy bars and white chocolate on an Oreo cookie crust.
For the Oreo cookie crust:
- 1 1/2 cups finely ground Oreo cookie crumbs, 17 cookies (6.75oz, 191g)
- 4 tablespoons melted butter (2oz, 57g)
For the brownie:
- 1 cup butter, melted and cooled (8oz, 227g)
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled (113g)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ¾ cups granulated sugar (12.25oz, 347g)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (5oz, 142g)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened alkalized cocoa powder (11g)
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 6 bars (1.75 ounces each) chocolate covered coconut candy (such as Mounds, Almond Joy, or Bounty), cut into ½-inch chunks (298g)
- 3/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut (6.35oz, 180g)
- 1 cup white chocolate chips or chunks (6oz, 170g)
For the Oreo cookie base:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare an 8 inch by 8 inch baking pan, see note, and spray the inside with cooking spray.
- Combine the Oreo cookie crumbs and the melted butter. Press into the bottom of baking pan.
- Bake in 350 degree F oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly while preparing brownie batter.
For the brownie:
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk eggs and sugar until blended.
- Add cooled melted butter and melted chocolate and whisk to combine.
- Combine dry ingredients in bowl and sift over chocolate mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula just until combined. Do not over mix.
- Add coconut, candy bar chunks, and white chocolate chunks and stir gently to combine.
- Pour into baking pan and smooth the top.
- Bake in 350 degree F oven until set, about 30 minutes. Be careful not to overbake or the brownies will not be fudgy. They should be slightly underdone.
* I use a baking pan with a removable bottom which comes in handy for easily and cleanly removing brownies and bars from the pan. I line only the bottom with a square of baking parchment.
* If you don't have a removable bottom pan, you can line the baking pan with aluminum foil with the edges overhanging the pan so that the brownie lifts out neatly.