Have a recipe that calls for shredded chicken? Follow these easy, simple steps for tender, juicy shredded chicken.
- 1 ½ lbs (680g) boneless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional seasonings
- Place chicken in a large pan in a single layer and cover with cool water by one inch. Add salt and optional seasonings to taste.
- Heat the pan until the water reaches 180°F and comes to a simmer.
- Turn the heat very low, cover, and let rest until the meat reaches 165°F on an instant thermometer, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and let it rest on the counter for 5 minutes.
- Shred the chicken by hand or with forks. Alternatively, put the chicken into a large bowl and shred it with a hand mixer on low speed. Be careful not to over beat, or the chicken will become mushy.
In a hurry? Bring the water up to a boil and then turn the heat lower to simmer the chicken until it reaches 165°F.
Optional brine: You can brine the chicken in its cooking liquid for 30 minutes before cooking. Add ¼ cup soy sauce, 2 tablespoons salt, 1 tablespoon sugar, and 3 crushed garlic cloves to the chicken in the water. Let the chicken brine at room temperature for 30 minutes before cooking. This provides seasoning and makes the chicken more tender. The chicken also loses its chill so it needs less heat to come up to temperature.
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chicken, poached, shredded