Light, fresh, and perfect for spring, you’re going to love this Creamy Spinach Artichoke Pasta. Hot buttered pasta tossed with spinach and artichokes in a creamy, garlicky, parmesan sauce. Simple, yet elegant. Perfect for date night or a quick weeknight dinner. Ready in under 30 minutes.
I first got the idea for this Spinach Artichoke Pasta from my love for Spinach Artichoke Dip. Do you ever have a great, original idea then google it only to find that it’s already been thought of? That happens to me all the time. 🙂
Like many recipes (I eventually found), I first thought to make this pasta dish using a thinned out spinach artichoke dip as the sauce. The only problem was that it turned out a little too thick and goopy. I wanted something light, fresh, and perfect for spring – the height of artichoke season, not something stick-to-your-ribs heavy that I might like on a game day in November.
I turned to my go-to parmesan cream sauce as the base for this recipe. It’s creamy, garlicky, and cheesy and clings to the pasta in a wonderful way. I added canned artichoke hearts, cut into quarters, and a big handful of baby spinach.
I used plain artichoke hearts canned in water, not marinated artichoke hearts, for their delicate, earthy flavor. You can substitute frozen artichoke hearts. Thyme and parmesan round out the flavors and make the perfect flavor complement.
Serve this Creamy Spinach Artichoke Pasta as a main course for a vegetarian meal or as a side dish to accompany roast chicken, salmon, or a grilled steak. I love to slice up some grilled chicken breasts and toss them in for a one dish meal.Print
Hot buttered pasta tossed with spinach and artichokes in a creamy, garlicky, parmesan sauce. Simple, yet elegant. Perfect for date night or a quick weeknight dinner. Ready in under 30 minutes.
For the Pasta:
- 1 pound linguine ((454g))
- 1 tablespoon butter ((.5oz, 14g))
For the Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons olive or butter ((1oz, 28g))
- 1 medium onion diced
- 5 cloves garlic finely minced
- ¾ cup chicken broth ((6oz, 170g))
- 1 ½ cup cream or half and half ((12oz, 340g))
- ¾ cup finely grated parmesan cheese ((3oz, 85g))
- 6 ounce bag of baby spinach leaves whole or roughly chopped ((170g))
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 14 oz can artichoke hearts in water ((397g) drained, rinsed, and quartered)
- Red pepper flakes (salt, and pepper to taste)
For the Pasta:
- Bring a large pan of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain and toss with butter.
For the Sauce:
- Heat olive oil or butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook until softened.
- Add the garlic. Stir and cook for about 1 minute.
- Deglaze pan with broth, scraping bottom to release any bits sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Add cream and bring to a simmer. Allow to simmer for 2 minutes.
- Turn off heat and whisk in parmesan until melted.
- Stir in baby spinach. Gently stir in artichoke hearts.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine pasta and sauce.
Subscribe to FOODTASIA’S NEWSLETTER to receive fresh recipes straight to your inbox.
You might also like: