These Salted Caramel Apple Crumb Bars have slices of juicy apples drizzled with caramel, sandwiched in between the best crunchy, sweet, brown sugar oat crust and streusel topping. One bowl and so easy to make.
It's apple season right now so there are plenty of choices for which type of apple to use in these Salted Caramel Apple Crumb Bars. With the caramel and the sweet streusel topping, I like to use a tart apple like Granny Smith. Honey Crisp is also one of my favorites. Use your favorite variety or even a combination for more flavor.
I use my homemade Easy Caramel Sauce for these Salted Caramel Apple Crumb Bars. It's really easy make, has a flavor that cannot be matched, and contains only pure ingredients like sugar, cream, vanilla, and salt so you know exactly what's in it. It's so simple to make. Just cook the sugar with water until it turns amber, stir in the cream, then add the vanilla and salt. No thermometer needed. Check out my post Easy Caramel Sauce for step by step directions. If you don't want to make your own sauce, just use your favorite jarred caramel sauce.
To make these Salted Caramel Apple Crumb Bars, we'll start with the crust and crumble topping. Simply melt butter in a mixing bowl. Add the brown sugar and stir with a wooden spoon until thoroughly combined and the butter has been absorbed into the sugar. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly. Press half of the crust/crumb mixture into the bottom of an 8-inch baking pan that has been lined with aluminum foil or baking parchment and sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Bake for about 13 minutes until the crust is golden. Remove from oven and let cool about 10 minutes so it firms up.
Slice two apples into thin slices and toss with lemon, sugar, and flour. Layer them on top of the crust. Pour caramel sauce on top of the apples. Crumble up the rest of the crust/crumb topping and sprinkle evenly over the apples. Bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 30-35 minutes.
These are excellent warm out of the oven with a scoop of ice cream. Kind of like an apple crisp with a yummy crust. Or cool them, lift them out of the pan, and cut into squares. I like them best the day they are baked when they are at their maximum crunchiness.
Although I find them perfect the way they are, if you want to gild the lily, drizzle some caramel sauce on top!Enjoy! Don't forget to pin for later!Print
- ⅔ cup butter, melted and cooled (5.5oz, 156g)
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar (6.4oz, 181g)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour (5oz, 143g)
- 1 cup rolled oats (2.8oz, 80g)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 medium-large apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¾ cup caramel sauce, click for link to my Easy Caramel Sauce
- extra caramel sauce for topping, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare an 8-inch baking pan by lining it with a large sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil. Spray with non-stick spray.
- Combine melted butter, brown sugar, and vanilla in a mixing bowl and whisk until smooth and the sugar has absorbed the butter.
- Add flour, oats, baking soda, and salt. Stir with a wooden spoon until thoroughly combined.
- Sprinkle half of mixture into prepared baking pan. Press flat with hands.
- Bake until set and golden on the edges, about 13 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes.
- Toss sliced apples with lemon juice and sugar. Sprinkle on flour and mix to combine.
- Layer sliced apples over crust.
- Crumble reserved half of dough and sprinkle in small pieces over apples and caramel sauce.
- Bake until golden brown around the edges, about 30-35 minutes.
- Serve warm with ice cream or cool and cut into squares.
- Best when eaten on the day they are baked.