These Thick and Chewy Triple Chocolate Cookies are intensely chocolate. Made with three kinds of chocolate: melted semisweet chocolate, Dutch-processed cocoa powder, and semisweet chocolate chips, it’s like dense, gooey hot fudge, in cookie form!
The key to success for these cookies is not overbaking them. The edges will look just set and the middle will seem undercooked. Don’t worry, as they cool they will set.
Use a good quality chocolate in these Triple Chocolate Cookies since the flavor of the cookie depends on the chocolate you use.
These Thick and Chewy Triple Chocolate Cookies are delectable at room temperature, but my favorite way of eating them is cold, out of the refrigerator, when they become dense and chewy.
Adapted from Cook’s Illustrated.
|Dense and Chewy Triple Chocolate Cookies|| |
- 1 cup all purpose flour (5oz, 142g)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (4g)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup Dutch-processed cocoa (.75oz, 21g)
- 8oz semisweet chocolate (227g)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee or expresso powder
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened (2.5oz, 71g)
- ¾ cup brown sugar, packed (5.25oz, 149g)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar (1.75oz, 50g)
- 6oz semisweet chocolate chips (170g)
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and cocoa in medium bowl.
- Melt chocolate in a medium bowl set over pan of almost-simmering water. Stir until smooth. Alternatively, you can melt the chocolate in the microwave. Heat on medium high for about 1 minute to start with. Remove from the microwave and stir. Repeat heating at shorter intervals, 15 to 20 seconds, stirring in between, until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Beat eggs and vanilla with fork. Sprinkle coffee powder over to dissolve.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, beat butter at medium speed until smooth and creamy.
- Beat in sugars until combined.
- Reduce speed to low and gradually beat in egg mixture until incorporated.
- Add melted chocolate and beat until combined, scraping down bottom and sides of bowl with rubber spatula.
- Add flour mixture and mix until combined. Do not overbeat.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature until consistency is scoopable and fudgelike, about 30 minutes. If your kitchen is too warm, place in the refrigerator.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F and set oven racks to the top and bottom thirds.
- Line 2 rimless cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Scoop dough onto parchment-lined cookie sheets with 1¾-inch diameter ice cream scoop.
- Bake cookies until edges have just begun to set but centers are still very soft, about 10 minutes, switching cookie sheets from top to bottom racks halfway through baking.
- Cool cookies on sheets about 10 minutes. Slide parchment with cookies onto wire rack and cool to room temperature.