This Cranberry Orange Walnut Bread is bursting with fresh cranberries, orange juice and zest, and roasted walnuts. Topped with a bright and citrusy orange and walnut glaze, it’s the perfect treat for the holiday season!
I love the combination of orange and cranberries! It’s so bright and cheerful! And this Cranberry Orange Walnut Bread is amazing!
It has a moist, tender, buttery crumb. Studded with fresh cranberries, walnuts, and flecks of orange zest, it’s bursting with flavor.
To top it all off is an Orange Walnut Glaze. It’s very citrusy, but not too tangy. Just vibrant and refreshing. The walnuts are coated in the glaze making them almost like orange candy-coated nuts.
To make this Cranberry Orange Walnut Bread, butter is cut into the dry ingredients. This can be done by hand with a pastry cutter or in a food processor.
The wet ingredients are gently mixed into the dry ingredients, and the chopped cranberries and roasted chopped walnuts are folded in.
It is baked in a 350 degree F oven for about an hour, until it is golden brown.
It’s left to cool and then glazed with the Orange Walnut Glaze.
Enjoy! Don’t forget to pin for later!Print
- ¾ cup plus ½ cup walnuts (85g and 57g)
- 2 eggs
- Zest of 1 orange, finely minced
- ¾ cup orange juice (160g)
- 1/3 cup sour cream (78g)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (283g)
- 1 cup sugar (198g)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 8 tablespoons butter, cold (113g)
- 1 ½ cups fresh cranberries, roughly chopped
- 2 cups confectioner’s (icing) sugar (240g)
- Zest of 1 orange, finely minced
- 6–7 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Coat a 9-inch by 5-inch nonstick loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. (If your pan is not nonstick, either coat with butter and flour, or line with parchment, leaving an overhang to lift the bread out after baking.)
For the walnuts:
- Roast walnuts on a baking sheet for a few minutes until they are toasty and fragrant. Be careful not to over-darken them.
- Remove from oven and chop coarsely.
For the Cranberry Orange Walnut Bread:
- Whisk the eggs in a medium sized bowl. Add the orange zest, orange juice, sour cream, and vanilla and whisk to combine.
- Combine the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a large mixing bowl or bowl of food processor.
- Cut the butter into small cubes.
- With a pastry cutter, or pulsing with a food processor, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it is the texture of a coarse meal. (See photo)
- Gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Gently fold in the chopped cranberries and ¾ cup roasted walnuts.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for about an hour, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool 5 minutes, then remove from pan. Let cool on baking rack.
- When cake is cool, spoon over some of the glaze. Let sit for a few minutes, then spoon over more of the glaze. Any leftover glaze can be served on the side with the bread.
For the Orange Walnut Glaze:
- Combine confectioner’s sugar, orange zest, and orange juice in a bowl. Add the juice slowly until the desired consistency is reached, like a thick syrup. You may not use all of the juice. Whisk until smooth.
- Stir in 1/2 cup roasted walnuts.