This quick and easy Creamy Garlic Parmesan Mushroom Chicken is so full of flavor, the whole family will love it. Tender, juicy chicken in a creamy sauce fragrant with garlic and parmesan with sautéed mushrooms and baby spinach - so delicious and on the table in 15 minutes. This is one chicken recipe you'll want to make time and time again!
I love a quick weeknight dinner and this Creamy Garlic Parmesan Mushroom Chicken has all the flavor! The sauce is just out of this world! Plus a little baby spinach to sneak in some veggies. Enjoy it as part of a low carb meal, or serve it over your favorite carb - pasta, mashed potatoes, or rice.
This Creamy Garlic Parmesan Mushroom Chicken is so quick and easy to make. Simply sauté chicken breasts in a little oil until golden brown and cooked through. I like to flatten mine a bit first into cutlets so they cook faster and more evenly. Just put them on a cutting board and give them a few whacks with a kitchen mallet. If the breasts are very thick, slice them in half horizontally before flattening.
Remove the chicken breasts from the pan, add a little more oil, and sauté some chopped onion until softened. Add sliced mushrooms and cook until golden and the onion begins to caramelize. Any kind of mushroom will do. I love using baby Portobellos or cremini.
Deglaze the pan with some chicken broth, add cream and seasonings, and bring to a simmer. Thyme pairs perfectly with the mushrooms and spinach. I've used fresh here, but dried would be excellent as well. Add the parmesan cheese and after it simmers for a minute or two, turn off the heat and stir in some baby spinach. You can add it whole or chop it a bit first.
The sauce is just amazing! Add the chicken breasts and serve.
Enjoy! Don't forget to pin for later!
Creamy Garlic Parmesan Mushroom Chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 1 pound chicken breasts (454g)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced (227g)
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ¾ cup chicken broth (6oz, 170g)
- ¾ cup cream or half and half (6oz, 170g)
- ½ cup parmesan cheese (1.5oz, 43g)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or ½ teaspoon dried
- Big handful of baby spinach leaves, whole or roughly chopped (about 4.4oz, 125g)
- Red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper to taste
- For quicker, more even cooking, slightly flatten breasts with a kitchen mallet. If they are very thick, slice them in half horizontally before flattening. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a skillet over high heat. When pan is hot, add 1 tablespoon oil.
- When oil is hot, put chicken breasts in pan and cook until golden brown on both sides and cooked through. Remove chicken from pan.
- Add remaining tablespoon oil to pan. Add onions and cook until softened.
- Add mushrooms and cook until golden brown and onions begin to caramelize.
- Add the garlic, stir, and cook for about 1 minute.
- Deglaze pan with broth, scraping bottom to release any bits sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Add cream and bring to a simmer. Add parmesan, thyme, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
- When cheese is melted turn off the heat and stir in baby spinach.
- Return chicken to pan and serve.
You might also like:
Chicken with Sun Dried Tomato and Mushroom Cream Sauce:
A delicious looking dish, I know I would love it! The mushrooms looked so beautiful the other day when I went shopping, I was already thinking about some mushroom dish to cook one of these days. This would be a great idea!
Thank you, Adina! My family loves it, and I love that it is so easy to make!
When do you add the garlic? I didn't see it in the instructions. Or, did I miss it?
You didn't miss it, I did! The garlic is added after the mushrooms are golden brown. I've edited the instructions to correct that. Thanks, Susan!
Lovely, lovely twist. Beautiful photo, so inviting !
Thanks so much!
Creamy Garlic Parmesan Mushroom Chicken is packed with full of flavour. I've tried this chicken and the whole family loved it. Thanks for this recipe <3