Easy Marinated Artichoke Hearts ready in 5 minutes! You won’t believe how easy and how delicious these Easy Marinated Artichoke Hearts are! Store bought marinated artichoke hearts are expensive and their quality can’t come near the ones you make at home.
These Marinated Artichoke Hearts are so delicious. And they couldn’t be any easier to make. Tender artichoke hearts are marinated in extra virgin olive oil and lemon, flavored with garlic, Italian herbs, peppercorns, and red chili flakes. You can eat them right away, or let them marinate in the fridge for about an hour.
These Marinated Artichoke Hearts are so good, they just disappear from the fridge. Every time I make a batch to use in a recipe, I go back to find them and they’re gone. I have to actually hide them way in the back of the fridge if I hope to have any left.
Store bought Marinated Artichoke Hearts are expensive, and sometimes they’re not so great. Why pay more money for less quality when you can so easily make your own at home? These Marinated Artichoke Hearts are made from artichoke hearts canned in water – which are less expensive than jarred marinated artichoke hearts.
Which acid to use and in which proportions
I love artichoke hearts marinated in fresh lemon juice. Vinegar is also commonly used. If you find straight vinegar a little too strong for you, you can dilute it with a little water.
Make the marinade in the same ratio that you like a salad dressing. For me that’s about 2 to 1, olive oil to lemon. For one can of artichoke hearts, I use ½ cup olive oil and ¼ cup lemon. Taste the marinade and adjust accordingly.
Depending on the jar you use and how tightly you pack the artichokes, you may need to add a little more oil and lemon so that they are covered. This is especially important if you will be keeping the artichokes in the fridge for a while. If you plan on using them right away, it’s not so important that they are completely covered.
What to do with Marinated Artichoke Hearts
If you haven’t eaten them all straight out of the jar, here are a few ideas on what to do with them:
As part of an antipasto platter – along with Italian meats, cheeses, olives, and marinated vegetables.
In a pasta salad – Check out my Antipasto Pasta Salad!
As a pizza topping (Have you been to Artichoke Pizza in NYC? Their artichoke pizza is ahhhhh-maaaaaazing!)
Toss them with diced potatoes and roast them in a hot oven until they’re golden brown.
Toss with olive oil and roast until they’re addictively crispy and serve as an appetizer with a bowl of aioli.
Stir them into omelets or scrambled eggs.
Top with parmesan and bread crumbs and bake as a gratin.
Chop up into a tapenade to serve on top of chicken or fish.
Sprinkle on top of salads or grain bowls.
How to make Marinated Artichoke Hearts
Open up a can of artichoke hearts in water. Drain and rinse them. Cut the hearts into quarters (if they are not already) and place them in a jar.
Sprinkle on top sliced garlic, dried Italian herbs, peppercorns, and salt. If you have more than one layer of artichokes in the jar, you can sprinkle in some of the garlic and herbs between layers.
Pour on top lemon (or vinegar) and olive oil to cover. Put on the lid and shake gently to coat all the artichokes and evenly disperse the dressing.
They can be eaten right away, but will be even better if you let them rest for an hour or even overnight. The Marinated Artichoke Hearts can be kept in the refrigerator, covered with oil, for up to 3 weeks. I push the artichokes down a little bit so they are all covered.
What to do with the leftover dressing
After you finish eating the artichokes, don’t throw the dressing. It makes a wonderful vinaigrette for salads, vegetables, and pasta salads.
Easy Marinated Artichoke Hearts
- 14 oz can artichokes canned in water (397g)
- 1-2 cloves garlic sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning or oregano
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon dried chili flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice *see note*
- Open the can of artichoke hearts. Drain and rinse them.
- Cut the hearts into quarters (if they are not already) and place them in a jar.
- Sprinkle on top sliced garlic, dried Italian herbs, peppercorns, chili flakes, and salt. If you have more than one layer of artichokes in the jar, you can sprinkle in some of the garlic and herbs between layers.
- Pour on top lemon and olive oil to cover. Put on the lid and shake gently to coat all the artichokes and evenly disperse the dressing.
- They can be eaten right away, but will be even better if you let them rest for an hour or even overnight. The Marinated Artichoke Hearts can be kept in the refrigerator, covered with oil, for up to 3 weeks. I push the artichokes down a little bit so they are all covered.
Subscribe to FOODTASIA’S NEWSLETTER to receive fresh recipes straight to your inbox.
You might also like: