For the Oreo cookie crust:
- 1½ cups finely ground Oreo cookie crumbs, 17 cookies (6.75oz, 191g)
- 4 tablespoons melted butter (2oz, 57g)
For the brownie layer:
- 1 cup butter, melted and cooled (8oz, 227g)
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled (113g)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar (14oz, 397g)
- 1¼ cups all purpose flour (6.25oz, 177g)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened alkalized cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate chunks (227g)
For the caramel pecan layer:
- 4 tablespoons butter (2oz, 57g)
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup (2.75oz, 78g)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (5.6oz, 160g)
- 1 cup heavy cream (8oz, 227g)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- few pinches of salt
- 3/4 cup pecans, chopped (3oz, 85g)
For the Oreo cookie base:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare an 8 inch by 8 inch baking pan, see note, and spray the inside with cooking spray.
- Combine the Oreo cookie crumbs and the melted butter. Press into the bottom of baking pan.
- Bake in 350 degree F oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly while preparing brownie batter.
For the brownie:
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk eggs and sugar until blended.
- Add cooled melted butter and melted chocolate and whisk to combine.
- Combine dry ingredients in bowl and sift over chocolate mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula just until combined. Do not over mix.
- Add semisweet chocolate chunks and stir gently to combine.
- Pour into baking pan and smooth the top.
- Bake in 350 degree F oven until set, about 40 minutes. Be careful not to overbake or the brownies will not be fudgy. They should be slightly underdone.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
For the caramel pecan topping:
- Combine the butter, corn syrup, and brown sugar in a medium saucepan and heat over medium heat, stirring until melted and combined. Bring to a boil and cook until temperature reaches 240 degrees F.
- Turn off heat and slowly pour in cream, being careful that it doesn't bubble over.
- Return to heat and boil until it reaches 248 degrees F. Turn off heat and stir in vanilla, pinches of salt, and pecans.
- Let caramel cool slightly (it should still be pourable and spreadable). Spread on top of brownies.
- Let cool to room temperature. Chill in the refrigerator for several hours to firm up.
- When chilled and firm, slice into squares.
- Store in the refrigerator.