Sliced chicken and a pile of hot, crispy fries on top of a cool, crunchy salad make this Pittsburgh Chicken Salad a delicious, meal in a bowl
- 1 chicken breast (about 4oz)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup (about 12) French fries, cooked until crispy
- 3 cups lettuce or lettuce mix
- ½ cup sliced cucumber
- ½ cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons ranch dressing, or other salad dressing
- Sliced red onion
- Sliced bell pepper
- Shredded carrot
- Season chicken breast with salt and pepper. Cook chicken breast on the grill or in a skillet until done. Let rest for 5 minutes then cut into slices.
- Prepare the French fries. I use frozen, seasoned, thin-cut fries and bake them a few extra minutes so they’re extra crispy.
- Assemble the salad: put the lettuce into a serving bowl. Top with veggies, cheddar cheese, sliced chicken breast, and fries.
- Serve with dressing drizzled on top or on the side.
- For a Pittsburgh Steak Salad, substitute steak for the chicken breast
- A lettuce mix with romaine and/or iceberg will hold up to the hot meat and fries
- Extra crispy fries are best on the salad. If using frozen fries, bake them a few extra minutes.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: salad, chicken, french fries, dinner, Pittsburgh, lettuce, steak