It’s fall, and that means it’s time for everything PUMPKIN! Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice is easy to make at home out of ingredients you probably already have in your cupboard and it tastes so much better when it’s homemade. What’s more, it costs so much less than commercial brands. Once you try making Pumpkin Pie Spice yourself, you’ll never go back to buying store-bought again.
All you need to make Pumpkin Pie Spice is 5 ingredients and 5 minutes. Simply add the ground spices in a bowl or jar and mix to combine.
Why make your own Pumpkin Pie Spice?
- Making your own costs less than buying a jar at the store.
- Homemade tastes so much better!
- It’s so easy, simply mix the spices together in a bowl. You probably have these spices on hand anyway!
- If you grind whole spices, you will have an unbeatable, vibrant, flavor that cannot be matched by pre-ground spices.
- Because we inevitably run out of Pumpkin Pie Spice right in the middle of making a pie…
- You can tweak the recipe and make it your own. Do you prefer a softer mix, increase the ratio of cinnamon. Do you like it a little zippier and bolder? Add a little extra ginger and cloves.
What to do with Pumpkin Pie Spice?
- Use in all of your fall baking – pies, breads, cookies, and cakes.
- Use it to make Pumpkin Spice Lattes and Pumpkin Spice Chai.
- Sprinkle it over your oatmeal or pancakes.
- Use it to spice up whipped cream.
- Add it to your coffee.
- Sprinkle it over roasted fall vegetables like sweet potatoes, winter squash, or carrots.
- Share the pumpkin love! Put the Pumpkin Pie Spice in a cute storage jar, tie with a pretty ribbon, and share it with friends and neighbors.
As soon as spices are ground they start losing flavor. Before long, they become bland and flavorless. Imagine how long the pre-ground spices in the store have been sitting. For the very best Pumpkin Pie Spice that has a fabulous, vibrant flavor that can’t be matched by using pre-ground spices, grind your own whole spices. The extra effort is definitely worth it!
I have added weight measurements in grams if you would like to grind some of your own spices. Simply set your spice grinder on a kitchen scale and set the scale to zero. Add the spices one by one, resetting the scale to zero after adding and weighing each spice. Grind until it becomes a fine powder.
|Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice|| |
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon (25g)
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger (5g)
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg (5g)
- 1½ teaspoons ground allspice (3g)
- 1½ teaspoons ground cloves (3g)
- Add all ingredients to a bowl or jar. Mix to combine. Store in an airtight jar.
Try out your Pumpkin Pie Spice in my Pecan Crumble Pumpkin Cobbler or my Pumpkin Butter.
Happy Fall baking!