Pasta tossed with sun-dried tomatoes and sautéed mushrooms in a creamy, cheesy sauce fragrant with garlic and basil, this Sun-Dried Tomato and Mushroom Pasta is sure to become a family favorite. Quick and easy to make, it’s perfect for a weeknight dinner.
This Sun-Dried Tomato and Mushroom Pasta has the perfect combination of flavors. Savory mushrooms and sun-dried tomatoes in a garlicky cream sauce. Parmesan cheese adds a salty depth of flavor. Fresh basil gives the taste of a warm Italian summer. A sprinkle of crushed dried chili flakes gives a little zing.
Onion and mushrooms are sautéed in the oil from the sun-dried tomatoes for an extra flavor boost. Sun-dried tomatoes and garlic are added and sautéed.
Add cream and vegetable or chicken broth. I use water and a bouillon cube for the flavor boost. Add a teaspoon of dried Italian herbs. If you don’t have any on hand you can use a mix of dried basil, oregano, and/or marjoram. After the cream sauce simmers for a minute or two, add the parmesan cheese and cook for a minute until it melts. Turn off the heat and sprinkle in chopped, fresh basil and dried chili pepper flakes.
I toss the pasta with a spoon of butter before adding it to the sauce. If you make it in advance, keep the pasta and sauce separate. Pasta will stay warm for several hours if you wrap the pan in a blanket. The sauce can be gently reheated. Combine just before serving.
Left-overs can be reheated by adding water and heating over medium heat.
Don’t forget to pin for later!Print
- 1 lb fettuccine (454g) or other pasta, cooked until al dente and tossed with 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons oil from sun-dried tomatoes or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 lb mushrooms, sliced (454g)
- 1 cup chopped sun dried tomatoes (6oz, 170g)
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced fine
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning (or a mix of oregano, basil, and/or marjoram)
- 2 bouillon cubes, vegetable or chicken
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream (12oz, 340g)
- ¾ cup grated parmesan cheese (3oz, 85g)
- Handful of chopped fresh basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sauté onion in oil for 1 minute over high heat.
- Add sliced mushrooms. Cook with the lid on until the mushrooms have released their liquid, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the lid and cook until the liquid has evaporated and the mushrooms are a golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sundried tomatoes, minced garlic, dried herbs, and bouillon cubes. Cook for 1 minute, breaking up the bouillon cubes.
- Add the cream and 1 cup of water. Let simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the parmesan cheese and cook until melted, about 1 minute.
- Turn off heat. Stir in basil and chili flakes.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss hot buttered pasta with sauce and serve.