- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 1 pound chicken breasts (454g)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced (227g)
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ¾ cup chicken broth (6oz, 170g)
- ¾ cup cream or half and half (6oz, 170g)
- ½ cup parmesan cheese (1.5oz, 43g)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves or ½ teaspoon dried
- Big handful of baby spinach leaves, whole or roughly chopped (about 4.4oz, 125g)
- Red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper to taste
- For quicker, more even cooking, slightly flatten breasts with a kitchen mallet. If they are very thick, slice them in half horizontally before flattening. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a skillet over high heat. When pan is hot, add 1 tablespoon oil.
- When oil is hot, put chicken breasts in pan and cook until golden brown on both sides and cooked through. Remove chicken from pan.
- Add remaining tablespoon oil to pan. Add onions and cook until softened.
- Add mushrooms and cook until golden brown and onions begin to caramelize.
- Add the garlic, stir, and cook for about 1 minute.
- Deglaze pan with broth, scraping bottom to release any bits sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Add cream and bring to a simmer. Add parmesan, thyme, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
- When cheese is melted turn off the heat and stir in baby spinach.
- Return chicken to pan and serve.