- 1 lb box of penne or other pasta (454g)
- 1 tablespoon butter (.5oz, 14g)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 lb Italian sausage (454g)
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup sundried tomatoes, chopped (100g)
- 15oz can chopped tomatoes (425g)
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (1.5oz, 43g)
- a large handful of baby spinach (about 2.3oz, 65g), chopped or not
- a handful of fresh basil leaves (about 1.5oz, 43g), chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
For the pasta:
- Boil pasta in salted water until al dente. Drain and toss with butter.
For the sauce:
- Sauté chopped onion and red pepper in olive oil for about a minute.
- Add sausage and cook until brown.
- Add minced garlic and chopped sundried tomato and sauté for about a minute.
- Add can of chopped tomatoes, bouillon cube, 1/2 cup water, and cook until bubbly.
- Add cream and let simmer for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in parmesan cheese until melted and turn off heat.
- Stir in baby spinach, let rest a minute or two. Stir in chopped basil. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss with hot buttered pasta.