Creamy Mushroom Chicken Pasta with Red Pepper and Thyme- pasta in a creamy, garlicky sauce with slices of juicy chicken, mushrooms, and red peppers. A quick and easy pasta dish full of amazing flavor. Ready in under 30 minutes
- 1 lb penne (500g) or other pasta (cooked until al dente and tossed with 2 tablespoons butter)
- 2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
- 1 lb (500g) chicken breasts (or boneless, skinless thighs)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1/2 lb mushrooms (sliced (250g))
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 5 cloves of garlic (minced fine)
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 cup water ((8oz, 227g))
- 1 ¼ cups heavy cream ((10oz, 283g))
- ¾ cup grated parmesan cheese ((3oz, 85g))
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley (chopped)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For quicker, more even cooking, slightly flatten breasts with a kitchen mallet. If they are very thick, slice them in half horizontally before flattening. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a skillet over high heat. When pan is hot, add 1 tablespoon oil.
- When oil is hot, put chicken in pan and cook until golden brown on both sides and cooked through. Remove chicken from pan and slice.
- Add remaining tablespoon oil to pan. Add onions and cook until softened.
- Add mushrooms and cook until golden brown.
- Add the red pepper and garlic, stir, and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Deglaze pan with water and bouillon cube, scraping bottom to release any bits sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Add cream and thyme. Bring to a simmer. Let simmer 2-3 minutes then turn off heat.
- Add parmesan slowly, whisking constantly until melted.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add sliced chicken and parsley to sauce, then toss with pasta.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: creamy mushroom pasta