Luscious and vibrant, with a slight hint of fragrant basil, Roasted Cherry Basil Sorbet is a refreshing, delicious taste of summer.
Shining and glistening and gorgeous, Roasted Cherries form the base of this exquisite sorbet. Roasting cherries intensifies their flavor and sweetness as well as deepening their color.
Basil infused sugar syrup gives just a hint of fragrance. I use about 4 basil leaves for the perfect flavor balance. Much more than that would overwhelm the cherries. You’re aiming for a slight, haunting fragrance.
Tools used in this recipe:Print
- 1 lb Roasted Cherries (454g) *click for link
- 3/4 cup sugar (5.25oz, 149g)
- 3/4 cup water (177g)
- 4 leaves fresh basil
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- few pinches salt, to taste
- Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Turn off heat. Put in basil leaves and let cool. Remove basil leaves.
- Puree Roasted Cherries, sugar syrup, lemon juice, and few pinches salt in blender until smooth.
- Taste and add more lemon if necessary. Strain through a fine mesh strainer.
- Chill in refrigerator several hours until very cold or overnight. *see note
- Churn in ice cream maker until thick, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a freezable container and freeze for 4 hours until firm.
- To serve, set container on counter for a few minutes before scooping.
*To speed up the chilling process, put in freezer until very cold but not frozen.