I love French Silk Pie and these Dreamy French Silk Pie Bars are even better!
The same luxuriously dense and silky-smooth filling has been given an Oreo cookie crumb crust for amazing flavor and texture.
As much as I love French Silk Pie, it is incredibly rich. Turning it into bars means a thinner layer of filling and a higher crust to filling ratio. Cutting these Dreamy French Silk Pie Bars into small 2-inch squares makes the perfect serving size.
French Silk Pie is easy to make, but you’ll want to use a stand mixer because long whipping is what gives French Silk Pie its special texture.
Butter and sugar are creamed together until light and fluffy. Superfine sugar, also known as caster sugar or baking sugar, is used to ensure that all of the sugar is dissolved, giving a smooth texture. If you don’t have superfine sugar on hand, it’s easy enough to make at home. Just process some regular granulated sugar in the food processor for a minute or two.
Cooled, melted, unsweetened chocolate is added to the mixture as well as vanilla and a teaspoon of instant coffee granules which enhances the flavor and cuts the sweetness slightly. Use a good quality chocolate as much of the flavor of the pie depends on it.
And then, the key to a perfect French Silk Pie, eggs are added, one by one, with a full five minutes of whipping in between the addition of each egg. This long whipping is what gives French Silk Pie its silky smooth texture.
|Dreamy French Silk Pie Bars|| |
- 1½ cups finely ground Oreo cookie crumbs, 17 cookies (6.75oz, 191g)
- 4 tablespoons melted butter (2oz, 57g)
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled (113g)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened (8oz, 227g)
- 1⅓ cups superfine sugar (10.6oz, 300g)
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 4 eggs at room temperature
- Lightly sweetened whipped cream
- Semi-sweet chocolate shavings or curls
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare an 8 inch by 8 inch baking pan, see note, and spray the inside with cooking spray.
- Combine the Oreo cookie crumbs and the melted butter. Press into the bottom of baking pan.
- Bake in 350 degree F oven for 5-8 minutes until set.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Let chill in freezer while preparing the filling.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the softened butter and the sugar on medium-high for 5 minutes until pale in color and light and fluffy, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl half-way through.
- Add the salt, vanilla, coffee granules, and cooled, melted chocolate and beat for another 5 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Using the whisk attachment, one by one, add the eggs and beat for a full 5 minutes after the addition of each egg, for a total of 20 minutes. Beating the full 20 minutes is essential. Scrape down the sides of the bowl before the addition of each egg.
- Pour the filling into the prebaked crust and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Before serving, top with lightly sweetened whipped cream and chocolate shavings or curls.
- Store the French Silk Pie Bars in the refrigerator.