Simple yet exquisite, Raspberry Financiers are lovely little French almond cakes with crispy exteriors and insides as soft as a pillow. Surprisingly quick and easy to make.
- ¾ cup ground almonds ((3oz, 85g))
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour ((3.6oz, 102g))
- ¾ cup sugar ((5.25oz, 92g))
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (softened (3oz, 85g))
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 large egg whites ((3oz, 85g))
- 1 pint raspberries (or blueberries, fresh or frozen)
- ½ cup sliced almonds (for sprinkling on top)
- Powdered (icing sugar, for dusting)
- 7 4- inch nonstick tart molds (sprayed with nonstick cooking spray or buttered and floured.)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix ground almonds, flour, sugar, and lemon zest until combined.
- Add the softened butter and beat for 2 minutes. Scrape down the bowl.
- Add the vanilla. Add the egg whites, one by one, beating for 2 minutes and scraping down the bowl after each addition.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared molds. Place on raspberries and sprinkle with sliced almonds.
- Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes, but depending on the mold/pan used.
- Unmold the cakes, let cool on a cooling rack.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.
- Financiers are the very best when eaten on the day they are baked.