Slightly spicy, slightly sweet, this Chipotle Roasted Pumpkin Chowder is big on Tex-Mex flavors with roasted pumpkin, spicy charred peppers, smoky chipotle, and sweet corn.
Pumpkin soup gets a Tex-Mex twist in this amazing Chipotle Roasted Pumpkin Chowder. Pumpkin is roasted to intensify its flavor and bring out its sweetness. The roasted chunks of pumpkin are sprinkled with chipotle powder for that addictive smoky sweet flavor. Charred and peeled red peppers and jalapenos add a smoky spiciness while corn adds a sweet freshness.
Bursting with flavor and packed with healthy vegetables, this Chipotle Roasted Pumpkin Chowder is very versatile. Make with vegetable broth for a vegetarian/vegan chowder. Or for an even heartier chowder use chicken broth and add chunks of roasted chicken.
Chipotle Roasted Pumpkin Chowder
- 1 pound pumpkin cut in ½ inch squares (454g)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder, or to taste
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 1 large leek (about 14oz, 400g)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 ½ cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen (7.4oz, 210g)
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves, finely chopped
- 42 oz vegetable or chicken broth (1190g)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toss pumpkin cubes with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Roast in a 400 degree oven until beginning to soften and edges are beginning to brown, about 20-30 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle with chipotle chili powder and toss to combine.
- Char the bell peppers and jalapenos until the skin is completely blackened on all sides on top of a gas flame or under the broiler. Place peppers in a plastic bag and let rest for 10-15 minutes. Remove from bag and peel the peppers. Seed peppers and cut into ¼ inch pieces.
- Wash leeks thoroughly. Slice the white and light green parts only of the leek into thin slices.
- In a large pan, sauté leeks in 2 tablespoons olive oil until softened. Add the flour, cumin, paprika, and chili powder and cook, stirring to combine, for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the broth, and whisking to combine, bring to a boil. Turn heat to low and add the pumpkin, peppers, corn, and oregano. Let simmer on low for about 15 minutes until pumpkin is tender.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Leave a Reply