This simply irresistible Chocolate Chip Banana Bread is the best I’ve ever had. It’s light and fluffy, perfectly moist, and full of banana flavor.
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour ((10oz, 283g))
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 large eggs (beaten lightly)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar ((5.25oz, 149g))
- 1 ½ cups very ripe bananas (soft, darkly speckled, mashed well (13.65oz, 387g) (about 3 medium))
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt ((2oz, 57g))
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted and cooled (3oz, 85g))
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6-8 ounces milk chocolate or semisweet chocolate chips ((170-228g))
- 1-2 ounces chocolate chips for sprinkling on top (optional (28-57g))
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place rack in middle of oven.
- Prepare a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan by buttering and flouring the base only if it is nonstick. Butter also the sides if it is not nonstick. Nonstick baking spray can be used instead of butter and flour.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the flour, soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Whisk to combine. Reserve 1/2 tablespoon flour and mix with 6-8 ounces chocolate chips.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar. Add mashed bananas, yogurt, melted butter, and vanilla. Whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Gently fold the wet and dry ingredients together, just until the dry ingredients are moistened. The batter should be thick and chunky, but without any streaks of unincorporated flour.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips that have been tossed with flour.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and smooth. Sprinkle on additional chocolate chips if desired.
- Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 55 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool on a rack for 5 minutes. Remove loaf from pan and let cool on rack. (If you didn't butter and flour the sides of the pan, you may need to run a sharp knife in between the sides pan and the loaf.)
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
For a no-yogurt Banana Bread:
*Replace yogurt with 2 additional tablespoons of butter, bringing the butter to 8 tablespoons (4oz, 113g).
*Replace baking soda with 1 teaspoon baking powder.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread freezes very well. After cooling completely, either wrap the whole loaf or individual slices tightly in plastic wrap. Let the whole loaf thaw to room temperature. Individual slices can be microwaved for about 30 seconds directly from the freezer.