Cranberry Orange Cookies - a tender, buttery shortbread slice and bake cookie loaded with tangy cranberries and zingy orange.
- 2 ¼ cups (319g) all-purpose flour ((scoop and level method))
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 16 tablespoons (227g) unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup (149g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (57g) confectioners' sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped dried cranberries (packed)
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest (from 2-3 oranges)
- ½ cup sugar for sprinkling on cookies (optional)
- Extra orange zest for sprinkling on cookies (optional)
- Whisk flour and salt together in a bowl.
- Cream the butter, sugars, and zest together in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or with a hand mixer) for 1 ½ minutes.
- Mix in the egg yolks and vanilla until combined.
- Mix in the flour and salt just until combined.
- Mix in the dried cranberries.
- Roll the dough into 2 equally sized logs, about 8 inches long and 1 ¾ inches in diameter. Wrap it up tightly in plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours and up to 3-4 days.
- When you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven to 325° F and put the rack in the middle.
- When the oven is ready, slice the cookie dough into about 1/3 inch circles. Use a sharp, serrated knife and a gentle sawing motion to slice through the dough cleanly.
- Put the cookies about 1 inch apart (they won’t really spread) on a parchment lined baking sheet. Sprinkle them with a little sugar.
- For best results, bake one sheet at a time until the bottom edges are just turning golden for a crisper cookie, about 13 minutes.
- For a softer cookie, pull them out when the cookies are set but not yet turning golden on the bottom edges, about 12 minutes.
- Sprinkle the cookies with a little sugar again as soon as they come from the oven for extra sparkle.
- Let the cookies cool for 3 minutes on the baking sheet, then carefully move to a cooling rack.
- I like to sprinkle them with freshly grated orange zest before serving.
If you want a thinner cookie, slice them into ¼ inch rounds. They will need less baking time.
Cut into 1/3 inch rounds, this recipe will yield about 48 cookies.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cookies, cranberry orange cookies, holiday, shortbread, slice and bake