This fresh and light pasta dish with its creamy, delicious, no-cook sauce, can be made in the time it takes to boil pasta. Quick and easy – perfect for weeknight dinners!
- 1 pound pasta (like rigatoni, spaghetti, or penne)
- 1 cup whole-milk ricotta, at room temperature (8 ounces)
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan or pecorino (2 ounces), plus more for serving
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (from 1 to 2 lemons)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic finely minced, optional
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup reserved pasta cooking water
- Red-pepper flakes, for serving
- Handful of arugula, spinach, basil, or kale, for serving (optional)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package instructions until al dente. Reserve 1 cup pasta cooking water, then drain the pasta.
- In the same pot (on the still warm burner with the burner turned off) add the ricotta, Parmesan, lemon zest and juice, olive oil, minced garlic, and salt and pepper to taste, and whisk until well combined.
- Add 1/2 cup reserved pasta water to the sauce and whisk until smooth.
- Add the pasta and continue to stir until the noodles are well coated. Add more pasta water as needed for a smooth sauce. Keep in mind that it will thicken as it cools.
- Stir in the arugula if using.
- Divide the pasta among bowls and garnish with grated Parmesan, black pepper, and red-pepper flakes.
For the creamiest sauce, try my Homemade Ricotta made with cream and milk.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 20
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: pasta, ricotta, easy, under 30 minutes, lemon, dinner