Bacon and Cheddar Spiral Loaded Roasted Potatoes are arranged in a vertical spiral for maximum crispness, roasted with bacon tucked into every little crevice, then topped with cheddar, chives, and sour cream. The BEST potato dish!
This is my favorite way of roasting potatoes. Just like my Spiral Roasted Potatoes with Garlic and Bacon, layering them vertically in a cast iron pan means that every slice will be both part tender and part crispy. Only here, they’re loaded with cheddar cheese, chives, and sour cream!
To make these Bacon and Cheddar Spiral Loaded Roasted Potatoes, slice potatoes into about 1/8 inch slices and toss with olive oil and lots of garlic. Arrange the slices in a spiral around the edge of a cast iron skillet, tucking the last potato under the first. Continue making spirals until you have filled the pan. My favorite pan when making Spiral Roasted Potatoes is my big Lodge 12 inch cast iron skillet. It can take any abuse I throw at it and still cook beautifully and nonstick. I use about 5 medium – large potatoes (with a total weight of 2 pounds, 12 ounces) to fill this pan.
Tuck pieces of bacon into the cracks and crevices, lifting pieces of potato and sticking some bacon in between. The fat will render out of the bacon as it bakes, basting the potatoes making them crispy.
Roast in a 400 degree F oven for about 45 minutes, drizzling with butter in the last 15 minutes. The potatoes will be golden brown and crispy on the edges and tender in the middle.
When the potatoes are done, sprinkle grated cheddar cheese over and put back in the oven for a minute or two for the cheese to melt.
Top the Bacon and Cheddar Spiral Loaded Roasted Potatoes with sour cream and chives, then serve.
- 5 medium/large potatoes, scrubbed and sliced about ⅛ inch thick (about 2½ lbs, 1.2kg)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 whole head garlic, minced fine
- 3oz bacon, diced (85g)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter (1oz, 28g)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (3oz, 85g)
- sour cream and chives for topping
- Toss sliced potatoes with minced garlic and olive oil in a large bowl.
- Using the largest pieces first, arrange the slices in a spiral around the edge of a 12 inch cast iron pan, tucking the last potato under the first. Continue making spirals until you have filled the pan.
- Tuck pieces of bacon into the cracks and crevices, lifting pieces of potato and sticking some bacon in between.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast in a 400 degree oven for about 45 minutes, brushing with butter in the last 15 minutes. The potatoes should be tender and cooked in the middle, brown and crispy on the edges.
- When potatoes are done, remove from oven and sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Put back in oven a minute or two until cheese melts. Remove from oven.
- Top with sour cream and chives.
Recipe adapted from The Culinary Fanatic
You might also like: