The best classic Chili recipe! Loaded with ground beef, tender beans, tomatoes, and a simple homemade blend of chili seasoning, piled high with all of your favorite toppings.
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 4 tablespoons chili powder or homemade chili seasoning, divided (or more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon cumin (or more to taste)
- 5 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 – 15 ounce cans kidney beans canned, drained and rinsed
- 1 ½ cups beef broth
- 1–2 beef bouillon cubes, optional
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large pan or dutch oven. Sauté the onion, celery, green pepper, jalapeno, and garlic until softened.
- Add the ground beef with half of the chili powder and cook until brown, stirring to break up the meat.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes. Or give it a long slow simmer. If you simmer it longer, keep the lid on and check it occasionally to add more water or broth if necessary.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add in any extra cumin or chili powder if you think it’s needed.
- Serve hot with your favorite toppings.
Homemade Chili Seasoning
- ¼ cup paprika or ground chilies of your choice (I used New Mexico chilies)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
Combine all the ingredients in a jar and shake to combine.
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chili, game day, soup, beef, beans, recipe,