Easy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins recipe – a light, tender pumpkin muffin filled with chocolate chips. They’re absolutely dreamy!
Jump to Section
Easy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins make the perfect breakfast or snack
Soft, tender pumpkin muffins with cozy, warm pumpkin spice and filled with chocolate chips – these Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins make the perfect breakfast or snack.
The BEST pumpkin muffins recipe
What sets this recipe for Pumpkin Muffins apart from others?
- They’re incredibly moist, light, and fluffy.
- The crumb is soft, cakey, and tender because they’re made with butter.
- Quick and easy to mix by hand. No mixer needed.
- Melty chocolate chips in a warm pumpkin muffin is divine!
Butter vs. Oil in muffins
I love butter in baked goods. In my side by side testing, pumpkin muffins made with oil were very good, but butter made them lighter and fluffier. If you prefer using oil, the amount is also in the recipe card.
Quick and easy Pumpkin Muffin recipe
From start to finish, these Pumpkin Muffins can be on the table in 30 minutes. Quick and super easy to make by hand with no mixer needed.
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins Ingredients
- Pumpkin puree – use canned pumpkin puree or homemade pumpkin puree
- Butter or vegetable oil – melted, cooled butter gives a lighter, fluffier texture. However, if you want to use oil, the muffins will also be wonderful
- Chocolate chips – use chips, chunks, or mini chips; semi-sweet or milk chocolate. I use a full 11 ounce bag of chocolate chips so every muffin is full of chocolate
- Pumpkin Pie Spice - If you don’t have pumpkin pie spice on hand, you can use only cinnamon – it’s equally delicious. Or make your own: check out my Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice.
- Sugar and brown sugar – a bit of brown sugar adds moisture and a rich flavor
How to make Pumpkin Muffins
- Whisk the wet ingredients together and the dry ingredients together, then gently fold the wet and dry ingredients just until combined and there are no pockets of dry flour.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips. Don’t overmix or the muffins won’t be tender.
- Spoon the batter into a muffin tin that has been lined with paper liners. (Or spray the tin with nonstick baking spray.)
- Pro tip: If you spray your paper liners with a bit of nonstick cooking spray, the liners will peel away from the muffin more neatly and cleanly.
- Bake the muffins until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or with a crumb or two sticking to it. Remove from the oven and let cool.
How to store Pumpkin Muffins
Store the muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for about a day and in the refrigerator for about a week.
Can Pumpkin Muffins be frozen?
You can definitely freeze pumpkin muffins. They make a wonderful breakfast treat or afternoon snack. Keeping them in the freezer means you can have a fresh, warm muffin any time.
Put them in the freezer until they are firm, then wrap individually in plastic wrap.
To thaw and reheat, remove the plastic and microwave for 20-30 seconds.
Mini Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
Turn these into adorable, poppable little treats by baking them in mini muffin tins. Use 2 – 24 cavity tins and fill them about ⅔ to ¾ of the way full. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out with only a few crumbs on it, about 10-15 minutes, depending on the size of the tin and variation in ovens.
Pumpkin White Chocolate Chip Muffins
Substitute white chocolate chips for the chocolate chips
More pumpkin recipes for you to love:
- Pumpkin Bread
- Pumpkin Streusel Muffins
- BEST Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Pumpkin Cheesecake with Pecan Praline Sauce
- Homemade Pumpkin Puree
- Pumpkin Spice White Hot Chocolate
- Pumpkin Puree vs Canned Pumpkin – The Pumpkin Pie Challenge
- Pumpkin Crunch Cake
Easy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins recipe – a soft, tender pumpkin muffin filled with chocolate chips. Makes the perfect breakfast or snack.
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- ½ cup (99g) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (53g) light brown sugar
- 1 cup (227g) canned pumpkin puree
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup (113g) vegetable oil or unsalted butter, melted and cooled (see note)
- 1 ¼ cups (177g) all-purpose flour (dip and sweep method)
- ¾ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin spice or cinnamon (See Note)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 11oz (312g) chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 375F (190C) and line a 12-count muffin tin with paper liners and spray lightly with nonstick baking spray. Alternatively, if you don’t want to use paper liners, just spray the muffin tin with nonstick baking spray.
For the muffins:
- Whisk the eggs, sugars, pumpkin, milk, vanilla, and cooled, melted butter until well combined.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice until well-combined.
- Gently stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined, taking care to not overmix the batter. Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Evenly divide muffin batter into prepared muffin tin.
- Bake muffins on the middle rack until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or with a crumb or two sticking to it, about 19-22 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
Spraying the paper liners with baking spray is optional, but the muffins pull away from the liners more neatly if you do.
Pumpkin spice is a mixture of cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, and allspice. It's easy to make your own if you don't have any on hand. These muffins are also wonderful with just cinnamon.
Optional add ins: Walnuts, pecans , dried cranberries, or pumpkin seeds would would make tasty additions.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Dessert, breakfast, snack
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pumpkin, muffins, chocolate chips,
LOVE IT? PIN IT!
Don’t forget where you found this delicious Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins recipe! Pin it to your favorite Pinterest recipe board before you go so that you can find it easily.
Subscribe to FOODTASIA’S NEWSLETTER to receive fresh recipes straight to your inbox.
You might also like: